Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Michelle & Julia

As yall know, I like cooking. I think my love for cooking is primarily driven by my love for eating, but it's also SUPER fun. Plus I subscribe to the "use-no-measuring-tools" philosophy, so there's a lot of eyeballing, intuition (or should I say "intuition"), and taste-testing that goes down. I like it that way better. Even if things usually end up a bit saltier than they should be (mmm... sodium).

Tonight was a bit more interesting -

Our rep for Martha Stewart Living mag (Joe - he's awesome) sent our team out on a mission. He provided us with a recipe and raw food items. Then there were 3 challenges:

1. SPEED: First person to email us a picture of your dinner.
2. STYLE: Best "Plating" or Presentation of your dinner (email us a picture)
3. EXTRA FEATURE: Best additional dish that you came up with on your own to go with your meal. It can be a salad or side-dish. (email us a picture).

We had a couple options (pork, shrimp, pasta). I had the pasta dish. This is what I started with:

And off we go! I was totes at a disadvantage. Didn't leave work till 7:30, and then didn't get home until 9:15!! (buying 1969 GAP jeans with Nick... I've never been able to fit into Gap jeans properly - i don't know who could possible have such a small waist yet such square thighs - but now they are AWESOME! this should be a completely other post...). Anyway, I doubt I won the SPEED challenge.

Here's the pasta in the pot:
And here it is plated:
It is SO freakin yummy. Joe got us organic tomatoes or something and they are SO sweet. This recipe is super easy and delish - I'll post it at the bottom!

Then I started making some sides...

I tried for this cauliflower/swiss cheese/gratin thing.
I used gruyere, which apaprently does not melt? Or I did something wrong (likely), and it turned out a bit juicy. But still yums!I put some bread crumbs on the top so that's why it has that tasty looking warm crust.

And THEN I made my most favorite dish ever, balsamic brussel spouts. I started making it earlier this year and kinda winged the recipe. I know brussel sprouts get a bad rap, but I promise it is yummy in the tummy.


And with that, the Italian flag! I hope I get some Martha points for creativity. Totally going for the Style/Extra Feature double whammy here.
Plus, I didn't finish cooking until 11!! It was amazingly fun though.

(Which worries me, because cooking and talking to my cat are becoming highlights of my day. I am turning into a crazy cat lady grandma, aiyah! )

As promised:
(as you can see, what I made serves 4. I dont even have enough tupperware to hold all the leftovers!!! downfalls of living along :( )

Not sure when Joe will annouce the winner but I'll keep you posted! I'm up against some iron chefs, so we'll see.

xoxo,
Michelle channeling Julia Child

No comments:

Post a Comment