Friday, October 14, 2011

I'm in New York, trick | Werkin' it

So in the chaos of moving, kiiinnnda forgot about the whole I'm-starting-a-new-job thing. Worked out for the best, because if I wasn't so distracted with the other million things going on I'd probably just fixate on how unprepared I am for this. I've only ever had one other first day, at Saatchi, and that was light years ago.

First day was a 9-5 day of orientation, but it was at the main office so I got to do this commute:
o hai timesquare

Learned about benefits, vacation days, and got myself an ID badge. Totes official now.
if only my high school class photos looked like this


Day 2 was at my office, which is in Soho. It's actually literally next door from Saatchi New York and there's a lot of neon orange in CC so I really couldn't get too far away from Saatch!

Was greeted by South Park, so I knew everything was going to be ok. Like a good new employee I got to work at what I thought was on time (9am), but apparently MTV doesn't get cracking until 9:30-10.  I live 8 blocks away. Quick math tells me I can sleep in until 9 and still be at work on time. yesyseysyeyesyesyes


I'd like to point out we (Katie Jenna Liz and I) named Poopsie after Cartman. My life has come full circle. 

It's no kid's table, but I have some fantastic cubemates - the other manager on my team and 2 creatives.
New Jersey sunset from my cube. I think I can see Snooks from here.

End of my first week! The walk home in fall rain while listening to This American Life. And yes that's a fitness umbrella. Gotta hang on to those media goodies, I don't get them anymore!

Speaking of, had to run out and get some rainboots. When it rains, it pours here. It's some crazy heavy flow. Like at the end of a football game and the team is doing that thing where they dump gatorade onto the coach - that kind of precipitation. None of this LA "rain" which packs as much moisture as those misters in line at Universal Studios.


Had a great first week! Lucky for me, MTV/Comedy Central is a lot like Saatchi - young/fun people and a casual environment (flip flops in the office are legit style). Already feeling at home with the team, and although I'm still trying to figure out what's going on, the projects that I'll be working on seem really great. I turned in my first assignment and got a shout out from the VP so, you know, YAY! Now gotta not mess up week 2 and I'll be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment