Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I'm in New York, trick | Setting Up Camp

My new home! Totally lucked out and found a super cute (super tiny) place in the West Village.

Awesome thing about the apt #1: 8 blocks from work. It takes me 10 minutes to walk there. awesome.

Awesome thing about the apt #2: around the corner from the apt the used in friends! some may not think this warrants to be the second best thing about the apartment. those people obviously do not know me and my priorities. this is definitely awesome.

Awesome thing about the apt #3: Near a bunch of tasty restaurants and fun bars, like the Spotted Pig (Shayan's fav), Mamouns (my fav), Fat Cat (basement bar that has cheap beer, live music, and GAMES! Scrabble, ping pong, chess, shuffle board, you name it. Plus it's called Fat Cat). Awesome.

Awesome thing about the apt #4: I actually got the apartment. I came out last week to apartment hunt and woo wee, there were slim pickings. One of the apartments had the shower in the kitchen. And it had a glass door! At least opaque that ish if your'e going to put it by the refrigerator. Another had the wonkiest flooring, it was like a carnival fun house. And pretty sure one of them was a crack house. There was a good one I applied for and didn't get and with one day to spare I started to sweat. That, and it was like 90 degrees out. So the fact I got a cute apartment is awesome.

NOT at all awesome thing about the apt: it was filthy and totally not ready for me when I showed up. the door wouldn't lock, there was wet paint which inevitably ended up on my jeans, broken glass on the floor, stupid stuff like they left the wrapping on the brand new fridge, but then wedged it up agains the wall so you couldnt take the wrapping off (like. why.), and gum stuck to the floor - it was a hot mess.

Called the super and this magical Puerto Rican guy came over and fixed all my problems. He was amazing, super friendly, and like a ninja warrior with his fix it skillz, but I couldn't understand 90% of what he was saying. Something about waking up at 5am and being 45.

And although Bear did great on the flight, she did not enjoy the cab ride into the city. at. all. Yall know nyc cab drivers drive as though they think they're in Fast Five (awesome movie, top 10 movies of 2011 for sure) so she got all shaken up and then proceeded to hide behind the toilet for 6 hours. She did this when we first adopted her too, behind the toilet is her jam.


After her half a day in hiding, she eventually came out and went back to her typical cat doings, sitting and looking fat.
sup.


Spent 2 (pathetic) days in the apartment with only 1 piece of furniture (Jami's twin sized air mattress - thanks gf!) and then recruited Ana for a trip to Ikea. It started out awesome with $5.99 ribs and Swedish meatballs (NOMS!) but ended up baaaaaad. We ended up being there for 7 hours and by the time we got to the self service bins, we realized there were only 2 of us and 3 carts we had to push. And I don't know if you've noticed, but I am NOT a yoked person. I somehow pulled out some super woman shit and was able to drag boxes 4x my weight and balance a mattress on a rickety Ikea cart. It was not a pretty sight. Awkward city.

Anyway, as much as it sucked I ended up with a real bed and apartment full of furniture so it actually feels like home now! It's not done yet, so consider this photo tour a work in progress...
Narrow kitchen. Not meant for fat people.

Fireplace! It probably works but I'm not going to risk setting the place on fire - Luckett and I have bad experiences with fireplaces. Almost smoked out Shutters.

candle cluster. attempt at ambiance.

bed. with drawers. even though I threw out 80% of the stuff I had in LA, i still have kind of a lot of stuff. paintings, including Kevin Best's Poopsie In Outer Space piece to be hung soon. I need nails.

There's a loft that I guess I could technically sleep in, but it's such a hassle so for now it's storage space. Hallway leads to the bathroom, closet, and front door.


Not pictured:

  • Cardboard box I'm currently using as a table until Ikea's Utby is back in stock
  • Corner bumpers I'll have to put on the edge of the counter above my bed as to avoid inevitable concussion
  • Monster pile of paper boxes I have yet to figure out what to do with them. NY has all these confusing trash rules that I haven't figured out yet. Yeah, I know, I can't figure out the trash. Dumb.
  • Closet - it's darker than a cave. Gotta figure out some sort of lighting solution. Tap lights?
  • Bathroom. I mean. It's a pretty run of the mill bathroom and it's also a hot mess. I gotta make a trip to the container store. I'm currently using shoeboxes. Not cute/no need to put that on the internet


Architectural Digest spread coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment